Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sumi-e blank note cards and retail venues

Today I'm finishing up my blank note cards. I use demo original Sumi-e that I don't plane to mount and frame. Since these are orignal a person could frame them - note card size is generally 5"X7". I purchase the better quality pre-cut card stock with envelopes at Michaels or Paper Zone in Tacoma. Hint: never go into Michaels with out a coupon. Sign up online for their email sales notices and they come with coupons.

Here is my process:
1. I cut them to fit the note card by using a wet brush. Mark out size with a pencil... Since Sumi paper is so soft that just using a brush line of water and then gently pulling causes the paper to tear with a beautiful soft edge.






Gently tear/pull along water mark on paper.












Final adjustment to fit the Sumi-e painting to the blank card face



2. I adhere the Sumi-e to the face of the blank note card. Brushing water downed Yes Paste onto the face, I carefully place the image onto the surface trying to avoid wrinkles..






Rub or pat gently from the center of image to the edges with a clean paper towel to push out any air bubble and smooth wrinkles.









Store the cards flat and let them dry overnight









3. I add a touch of color if the original piece was black and white - I've found that color images sell a little better than the subtle black and white.








4. I place the clear plastic label with contact and info onto the back remembering to place it horizontally or vertically depending on the image. Yes - I have goofed when distracted! My printer is fussy and I don't try to run the blank cards through it prior to adhereing the Sumi-e onto the face. Plus I don't want the card put through the roller...



5. Stamp with my soapstone seal and sign with archival permanent ink pen. Seal ink has to dry...







7. Fold the note card using a bone tool that book makers use to get precise folds.








8. Match the note card with an envelop and slid into plastic sleeve, seal... TaDa!

My note cards can be purchased at the following retail venues:
Hansen's Georgetown Florist - 5963 4th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108
Hansen's Fremont Florist [4252 Fremont Ave N, Seattle WA, 98103

Rhapsody in Bloom Florist & Cafe Latte [Sumi-e, mini collages & note cards]
3709 6th Ave, Tacoma, WA 98406 (253) 761-7673
www.rhapsodyinbloomflorist.com

Shop the Frontier - A non-profit rural marketplace [online store - art]
www.shopthefrontier.com

The Gallery – Bainbridge Arts & Crafts [Sumi-e note cards, mini collages]
151 Winslow Way East, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110 Phone: 206-842-3132
www.bainbridgeartsandcrafts.org

Traditions Café and World Folk Art 300 5th Avenue SW, Olympia, WA 9850 Phone: 360-705-2819
www.traditionsfairtrade.com

White Dove Gallery
5934 88th Street SW, Lakewood, WA 98499-2905 Phone: 253-582-7859
www.whitedovegallery.com

No comments: